Recovery

by - April 12, 2018


I think everyone has certain expectations for their life and how it's going to go, and most of the time I think those expectations are pretty off track. As I make plans or assumptions I kind of imagine God just laughing to himself. I really believed my Lyme recovery was going to take longer than it has been, which, is a pleasant surprise.

I had a tough time at the beginning of this year with my recovery. My doctor told me it was going to get worse before it got better, and that was right. It got worse- there were a lot of tears and sleepless nights, but now it's getting better. I couldn't be more thrilled and grateful. 

As a young woman I know I've taken my health and my body for granted. It's true when they say "never know what you got till it's gone." Now that the Lord is so graciously healing me, I feel like I'm a new person. I feel myself again, but different at the same time. 

Y'all, I went kayaking. I started doing yoga. I started working out. I can read and write. I feel like I can have a conversation with people without zoning out into zombie mode. When two months prior, I had a difficult time just walking. Or driving, or going to the grocery store.  

 Being sick made me feel so alone. I know so many other people with this disease that are not so lucky as me. I think much of it has to do with your genetic makeup as a human, and how badly the disease has progressed. I got diagnosed exactly when I needed to. After only about three/four months of treatment, I am feel more myself than I have in a year and a half. 

Do you know how crazy that is?! Praise God! 

Through all of this, I'm realizing that perhaps I only experienced a fraction of what this disease can really do. I know far too many people who have lost their ability to walk, speak, and function as a human being because of lyme. I think lyme can be like a domino effect for many- when you set off lyme, you can also set off many other issues in the body.  

Minimizing pain does not make one stronger, and I will say this disease left me with some physical ramifications and some emotional ones too. But my heart is so full of thankfulness to the Lord. He definitely didn't have to heal me, but he did. 

I sometimes worry that lyme is going to come back. For many woman, a relapse can be triggered by childbirth. There have also been several studies showing that it is possible to pass lyme to your partner or your children. In fact, I know people who have had this very thing happen. 
But here's what I do know: right now, the Lord is healing me. He is making me new again. And his plans are far greater than mine.  

Dear friend, if you are struggling right now, whatever it may be, 
please know that The Lord cares for you. 
I know that can be hard to believe, but I promise you, it's true. Let Him in. 


You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. Aw girl! I'm so sorry, but I'm so happy you're getting through this. It's a funny thing, no one really knows about Lyme until it hits. Since we live in the backwoods of Wisconsin where deer ticks are the biggest threat ever, I know plenty of relatives and friends who have been affected by Lyme. CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bethany! I'm definitely much more aware of the outdoors now, even though I live in the south. It's so crazy just how much of an epidemic lyme is becoming.

      Delete

Search This Blog