Mount. Princeton

by - September 12, 2016

Early Tuesday morning while we were in Colorado, my boyfriend Hunter and I decided to hike Mount Princeton. (It's a 14er. 14,191 feet to be exact. Yeah, a bit of a hike...) We drove up part of the way so we'd only have to go 6 miles round trip instead of 13. 
I was scared I wouldn't be able to go the night before because my knees had been bothering me, thanks to my flat-as-Texas-feet. But I felt pretty good when I woke up so we decided to go.  This picture was when we stopped to grab some water/food at about 12,000 feet. Hunter instagramed the picture and his caption read: "Right now we are at about 12000 feet, got a little ways to go." 
A little ways to go? Ha! That's what we thought...
Even though this wasn't the top, I thought it was a pretty outstanding view. It's so quiet up there. It makes you feel so small when you see something like that. 

 Shortly after this we got off the road and onto trail to reach the top, and it started to get pretty steep. The air grew steadily thinner. Neither one of us are seasoned hikers and live almost at sea level, so we had to stop frequently to catch our breath. Nevertheless we were feeling pretty good.
Then we reached a part of the trail that pretty much scared me half to death...
Oh how deceivingly easy it looks in pictures! It appears to be gravel from far away, but ohhhh no. Those are big rocks on a steep ledge that we had to climb over. To someone who isn't fond of heights, I was pretty nervous.  It seemed to take forever to climb over those rocks. The roughly marked path actually curved around the other side of the mountain in a big S shape, and every time I thought we were almost there it seemed we still had so far to go. We stopped to grab some water and Hunter said, "I feel like the closer we get, the farther the peak is." We both knew it would be hard but I don't think we were quite prepared for what it would actually be like.
OH, and by the way I saw mountain goats for the first time. They just scrambled up the side of the mountain like it was nothing while Hunter and I were struggling over the boulders. lol 

As time went on, we noticed dark clouds coming quickly towards us. But we had gone so far...we decided to keep going. We had started at 8am...at least two hours too late. We were both starting to get pretty tired. Hunter said, "I feel like we're in Lord of the Rings".  
 After what seemed to be an eternity, we finally made it to the peak! We were so close to the summit, probably only about 500 more feet away. But as we were climbing we passed some other hikers. They were obviously professionals who know what they were doing, and expressed concern for us to turn around because of the rain clouds. Me, being the worry wart that I am and terrified of getting stuck on the mountain in a thunderstorm, at once insisted we go back down. Neither one of us wanted to, it had taken us nearly four hours just to reach the peak. But those clouds were coming in so fast, so we had to turn around. Sad day.
Anyway, even though we didn't really reach 14,191 feet, we made it to about 13,800...so I'm still saying we hiked a 14er. By the time we were on the road again, it was beginning to rain. In retrospect we probably could have made it to the summit, but in the end we both agreed it was the right choice to turn around. Bummer. I'm still glad we went as far as we did though, it was certainly a bonding experience and I loved being able to go with my best friend! 
I couldn't help but think how climbing this mountain represent a lot of things spiritually for me. 

I can see where I want to be, I can see the Summit. And I've definitely started climbing. I know it's where the Lord wants me to be. But oh, it is not as easy as I once thought. All my expectations come crumbling down and I realize I have a long way to go. 
I also realized I can't do it on my own. I so desperately need Jesus to help me every step of the way, one step at a time. When we were climbing the mountain, it was easy to get overwhelmed thinking of how far there was left. So I would just focus on a rock or a bush ahead of me and think, "just get to there..." and then keep going. 
Isn't real life the same? It's good to have a big picture in mind, but sometimes it's better to simply focus on what God has given me now, what small steps I can take in this moment. 

  Isn't it crazy how God can use experiences to shape us and teach us things? I'm so thankful for the chance to hike Mount Princeton with Hunter, and even more thankful we made it back down. (haha!)  
Blessings, 
-Jana

You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. This is so gorgeous!! (pictures... and I loved hearing about the day). sounds like you had the best time!

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog