Country roads, take me home

by - November 16, 2015


"When nightmares come and keep you awake 
baby close your eyes, I'll take the weight. 
but I won't speak, I will refrain
and be the song, just be the song.
When inner scars show on your face
and darkness hides your sense of place
well i won't speak, I will refrain
and be the song, just be the song." - "Be the Song", Foy Vance

 Last week, my grandma went to go be with Jesus. She is finally 'home'. 
We had always seen each other on holidays and birthdays and the usual family gatherings. But it was three years ago that my grandmother left her home in West Virginia and moved to Texas to live with us,  that I felt I came to know her so much better.  I know that it wasn't easy for her to leave. Moving is hard enough as it is, but when you've lived in the same state for 77 years, you really are leaving everything behind. She knew that things were never going to be the same again, and I remember how she cried when she kissed her big orange cat "Garfield" goodbye. 

This picture was taken outside her home the day she left. It makes me want to cry, for I know that it broke her heart to leave West Virginia. 
From the day she moved in, life has been a roller coaster. She was a diabetic with many other health problems,  and she had recently started dialysis. She had only been here a month when she fell and broke her hip. It was quite the ordeal, and yet she pulled through. "Nanny's a fighter," my mom would say. We had many expected-unexpected visits to the hospital. 

Even though her little body was worn out and her home was miles and miles away, she never complained. She marched right into Texas and started living. She was absolutely one of a kind. 
While she was still living at our house, on sunday evenings I liked to go sit in her room and drink tea and we'd watch "the Mentalist" together. It was our favorite show. And she loved Christmas. We spent hours and hours carefully wrapping every last present, and she showed me how to fold the corners of the paper so they didn't crease. 
There's a hundred different things I'd like to tell you about her. I already miss her so much, but I'm glad she is no longer in pain. What a brave, inspiring, and beautiful woman she was. I'm so thankful to have known her.  

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. Awwww, that is so sweet. I love her already. ♥♥ I'm glad she's home now. Someday you'll see her again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your sweet words make me wish I had known her, too. I'm so sorry for your loss! Praying that you find comfort in the Lord and verses like Psalm 34:18.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so beautiful - I'm so sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog