For when I am weak, then I am strong.

by - December 26, 2015


"Only a real risk tests the reality of a belief." 
-C.S Lewis, A Grief Observed 


When I read that quote yesterday, it really struck a chord in my heart. I think fear is something that we all struggle with to some degree. It's easy to say I believe in something, but the moment comes where I am asked to step outside my comfort zone, to have faith-I can become paralyzed. Sitting along the sidelines becomes a default setting, living in that dangerously apathetic 'grey area'.
Maybe I'm not doing entirely nothing. But maybe I'm not doing what deep down I know the Lord is calling me to do.

This might be something as simple as asking someone to get coffee,  praying for someone over the phone. Or perhaps it's pursuing an idea or a passion that seems out of reach.

Maybe God asks us to do the things we're afraid of, to reveal our desperate need for him. Too realize that without him, we cannot be who he created us to be.  To remember that we are not in control. I heard a quote the other day, that said, "here in this culture, in america, we often have too many opportunities for false security."
I often forget how fragile life is. But I don't think that means we should live in fear. In fact, quite the opposite:

"9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness. Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. 10 That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong."- 2 Corinthians 12:9-11
There is so much freedom and comfort in that verse.  To know that being a follower of Jesus does not require perfection. 

It makes me think of Lord Of the Rings. (huge fan. huuuuuuge fan.)  Especially the scene where Frodo is talking the Galadriel in Rivendell. Frodo tries to give her the ring, and when she refuses, he is disheartened; 

"Frodo :"I know what I must do...but I am afraid to do it." 
Galadriel: "Even the smallest person can change the course of the future." 

God chooses everyday people, and often very unlikely people, to be a part of his story. So take heart friend. Don't be afraid. 

You May Also Like

3 comments

  1. yes yes yes, oh my i needed this. 'for WE are His workmanship' as the verse says, and i fear i forget that all too often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so exactly what I needed to hear today... these past few weeks, I have been becoming reaquainted with fear a little bit... and I've been fighting against it, both in my head and in my writing. Thinking about Mary, too - how God asked her to do something huge, and she must have been afraid even though Mary and fear aren't words that we often pair.

    Anyways. Amazing, excellent post. Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. amen. to know that the perfection of Christ overshadows our crippled hands? that is overwhelming. God is good. <3<3

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog